Tipping in New York

Order Travel Money Online

£
Rate:
In-store rates may vary.
  • Tipping in New York or rest of America, it is generally 15 to 20% of bill.
  • Travel with cash, as it means you can tip your taxi driver, porter or waiter more easily
  • Buy US Dollars online for our best exchange rate

Before you visit NYC, it’s important to understand the American tipping culture.

Why is tipping in New York so important? Well it supplements the waiter’s wage and incentivises them to provide a great service.
It’s a good idea to carry some dollars on you for tipping.

If you are travelling to New York soon, check out our What to pack for New York guide and don’t forget to buy your US Dollars online for our best rate.

Buy US Dollars >

Tips on tipping in New York:

  • 1. It’s a good idea to keep some single dollar bills in your wallet for tips.
  • 2. Some restaurants will include the service charge on the bill. Check the bill for service charges and gratuities.
  • 3. Just arrived in the states, try to break larger denomination notes for tipping or alternatively ask your travel money provider for a mix of denominations.

Tipping in New York Guide

Tipping in New York Guide:

Our guide will answer your questions like When and How much to tip?
You’ll be tipping like a New Yorker in no time.

 

Restaurants:

How much to tip a waiter?

The customary tip of 15-20% is recommended and if it’s a high end restaurant you should lean more towards the 20% tip.

On average a three course meal for two People in mid-range restaurant costs about 80 dollars(*) so with a 20% tip of 16 dollars, the total cost would be 96 dollars.

Total Bill20% Tip
$80$16
$95$19

 

Bars:

How much to tip a bartender?
When tipping in a bar, our guideline is to leave a dollar per drink or to tip 15 to 20 percent of the tab.

On average a pint of domestic beer costs 7 dollars(*) with a 1 dollar tip for a drink so the total cost would be 8 dollars.

However if you’ve ordered a fancy cocktail that a mixologist has spent a few minutes making, a larger tip is recommended.

Hotels:

How much to tip hotel staff?
There’s no way to say an exact amount to tip all hotel staff. Tipping is at your discretion and it depends on the service you received, below is a guideline only.

  • Valet attendant: $2 to 5 dollars tip is standard.
  • The Porter or Doorman: If doorman has hailed a taxi for you or given you directions give a tip of $1 to 2 dollars.
  • The Bellhop: it’s $1 or 2 dollars per bag.
  • The Hotel concierge: for helpful information consider a tip of $1 to $5 dollars. If you feel the concierge has really gone above and beyond, by securing some hard to get Broadway tickets or table reservation in fancy restaurant, you should consider leaving a larger tip of $10 or more.
  • Housekeeping: $2 to 5 dollar tip per night is standard.
  • Room service: 15 to 20% of bill is standard.

 

Taxis:

How much to tip a taxi cab?

For a short journey, we’d recommend tipping a couple of dollars but for a longer journey you should tip 15 to 20% of the fare.

If you are using a taxi app such as Uber you can pay for the tip using the app.

Tour Guides

Taking a tour of city is a great way to explore your surrounding and to gain some local insight and knowledge. How much you tip the tour guides depends on a number of factors from the length of the tour, the size of the tour group and if you enjoyed the tour. If you’ve been on a day long tour consider tipping at least $ 10 dollars or 10 to 20% price of the ticket.

 

Spas or Salons

Visiting a day spa while in New York and wondering what the tipping etiquette is? It’s standard to tip 15 to 20 % of the total bill. So if your massage comes to $120 you should leave a $18 to 20 dollar tip.

How to calculate the tip easily?

An easy way is double the sales tax as it is 8.87% which is nearly 18% tip.
If you want to calculate a 15% tip, think of it as 10% plus 5%.

To calculate 10% of the bill move the decimal point one position to the left, now you have 10% and for 5% just half this figure. Now add 10% and 5% together to get the 15% tip.

Final note on tipping in New York

  • 1. It’s important to factor in tipping, when calculating how much New York spending money you need.
  • 2. Its always worth bringing some cash in small denominations (10, 5 and 1 dollar bills) to make it easier to tip on your trip.

Visiting NYC soon? Don’t forget to buy your US Dollars online for our best exchange rate:

Buy US Dollars >

* Data source: average cost of living survey Numbeo.com, October 2019.

Your trusted travel money provider

Don’t just take our word for it, see what some of our customers thought of the service:

Buy online for our best rates

We make it easy for you to buy travel money today at a great exchange rate, giving you the option to collect in-store, or conveniently get your travel money securely delivered to your home address.

Contact No1 Currency
X
Submit