For those who are passionate about travelling – staying at home can be hard. At No1 Currency we have pulled together a list of 13 different ways you can create your own experiences of travelling the world, all from your home. Comment your favourites and send/tag us in photos of you doing them on social media. We can’t wait to see!
It’s time to re-live your childhood fantasies and camp in your garden. Dig out your tent from the loft, get a fire going and spend quality time with those you live with. Oh and most importantly…don’t forget the marshmallows.
2) Shake it up
Turn your living room into a bar for the night. Try cocktails from around the world… until you think you are there.
We’ve curated a list of a few of our favourites:
- Caipirinha (Brazil) https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/caipirinha
- Singapore Sling (Singapore) https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/singapore-sling
- Mojito (Cuba) https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/mojito
- Negroni (Italy) https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/classic-negroni
- Piña Colada (Puerto Rico) https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pina-colada
- Dark ‘n’ Stormy (Bermuda) https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/dark-stormy-cocktail
- Sangria (Spain) https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-traditional-red-sangria/
- Pisco Sour (Peru) https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pisco-sour
- Kir Royale (France) https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/kir-royale
3) Wine down
Turn your garden into a vineyard. Get some fresh grapes, plenty of wine and food parings to match. Try a few different wines that you wouldn’t usually buy.
4) Lose yourself in literature
Get your literature fix. Read, read and read.
What to read right now? We’ve collated a list of a few of our favourites from different countries.
- HHhH by Laurent Binet (Prague)
- The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Barcelona)
- Night Train To Lisbon by Pascal Mercier (Lisbon)
- So You Don’t Get Lost In The Neighbourhood by Patrick Modiano (Paris)
- The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton (Amsterdam)
- Book Of Clouds by Chloe Aridjis (Berlin)
- Early One Morning by Virginia Baily (Rome)
5) Escape through taste
Cook your favourite dishes from around the world. Now is a good time to expand your cooking skills. Indonesian, Turkish, Thai, Spanish, Moroccan, Japanese, Indian, Italian, French and Chinese. Cook them all.
6) Yoga retreat
Find a quiet place. Join a live yoga session, close your eyes and breathe. Who needs to go away for a yoga retreat? Make a routine of doing 30 minutes of yoga each morning and meditate before going to sleep. If you can’t find live yoga sessions, YouTube will have everything you need to start.
7) Dance like nobody is watching
Belly dancing (Middle East), Bollywood (India), Tango (Argentina), Salsa (Cuba) or Samba (Brazil). Get them up on YouTube. This is also a great way to stay fit in the house. This could be the start of a new hobby for you?
8) The walls are alive with the sound of Netflix
There are endless films out there that can transport you into another county or even out of this universe. But, what to watch right now?
We’ve put together a list of a few of our favourites:
- Amelie (France)
- Spirited Away (Japan)
- Parasite (South Korea)
- Call Me by your Name (Italy)
- Out of Africa (Kenya)
- Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (China)
- Moulin Rouge (Paris)
- The Sound of Music (Austria)
- Priscilla Queen of the Desert (Australia)
- The Beach (Thailand)
- Blue is the Warmest Colour (France)
- Hercules (For those fancying a Grecian getaway)
9) Trip to the seaside
Put your feet up. Relax. Get an 8 hour set of sounds of the ocean on YouTube. Check heating is on FULL. Close your eyes. Spray yourself with salt spray. You will instantly be transported to the tropical sands of the Bahamas – without even getting off your sofa. Life changing, right?
10) Virtual Art
There’s no need to deprive yourself of art when you are home. No imagination is needed for this one. You can now take a virtual tour of art galleries around the world.
Here is a list of our favourites:
- Virtual tour of the Rijksmuseum
- Virtual tour of the Uffizi Gallery
- Virtual tour of the Museum of Broken Relationships
- Virtual tour of MASP
- Virtual tour of Picasso Museum
- Virtual tour of Benaki Museum
- Virtual tour of National Palace Museum
- Virtual tour of Museum of Modern Art
11) Learn the language
你好! Use language to transport you to your dream location. Practice with those you live with or over FaceTime. Duolingo or Basuu are great apps to get you started. Set a goal and keep working on them every day.
12) Live DJ sets and concerts
Feel like partying? Follow your favourite artists and DJ’s on social media. Many are doing live concerts on Facebook every night. Who needs to leave the house?
13) Go on Safari
Not your internet browser – an actual safari. Get to see all your favourite animals in their natural habitats live right now online. Our favourite Is Tembe Elephant Park in South Africa.
We hope you have fun exploring the world from your home with our 13 different ideas. Have you got any other ideas? Comment your favourites and send/tag us in photos of you doing them on social media:
(We will share the best ones…)